Looking for the best electric scooters? As you will find out, electric scooters are not all-purpose two-wheel vehicles. Your purchase should be guided by how you intend to use the scooter. Read on…
As an increasing number of people look to reduce their carbon footprint, electric scooters have witnessed a surge in sales over the last couple of years. Demand is soaring as these two-wheelers start to become a fashion statement, just like we witnessed with wearable tech.
And just like wearable tech, over time, electric scooters will become less of statement toys and more of an essential in a world gradually turning green.
You see, electric scooters are no longer the under-powered little toys they used to be. The models we have today are fast and agile, packed with innovative on-board technology.
You will find all kinds of electric scooters on the market, ranging from old-school stand-up types, to the more practical moped styles. The asking price is just as varying, falling anywhere between several hundred dollars to a couple of thousands.
As with most things, the more money you spend on an electric scooter, the better the buy.
In other words, the steeper the price tag, more often than not, the more superior the range, the more powerful the motor, the higher the speed and other perks that come with a premium price – better battery recharge time, removable battery perhaps, better construction and so on.
In this review article, we will walk you through some of the best electric scooters on the market today.
By “best” we do not mean expensive.
Rather, the models that outshine the products the market has to offer.
As you might have noticed, there is a rich number of options to choose from, and knowing which scooter is better than the other isn’t as straightforward, unless you are well versed with them.
- 1 Best Electric Scooters: Ninebot ES4 Kick Scooter by Segway (Best Scooter for Long Commutes)
- 2 Best Electric Scooters: NanRobot D4+ High-Speed Electric Scooter (Best Scooter for Off-Road Use)
- 3 Best Electric Scooters: Glion Dolly Foldable Electric Scooter (Best Scooter for City Dwellers)
- 4 Best Electric Scooters: Razor EcoSmart Metro (Best Affordable Scooter with a Seat)
Best Electric Scooters: Ninebot ES4 Kick Scooter by Segway (Best Scooter for Long Commutes)
- Dual Batteries: With an extra Lithium Ion battery and upgraded motor, ES4 boasts up to 800W of power, with a top-speed of 19 mph, travel up to 28 miles and accommodate a max load of 220 lbs. The ES4 can take you just about anywhere you want to go.
- Portable Folding Design: Ninebot Kickscooter by Segway ES4 is sleek, lightweight and features a one-step folding system. Now our riders can carry the ES4 scooter on public transportation, store it in your car and take it to any destination you desire.
- Safe & Comfortable Riding: Front and rear wheel shock absorbers equipped with the large solid tires provide maximum rider comfort even when traveling at high speeds. The mechanical and electrical anti-lock braking system ensure braking safety.
- Technology Superior: With a LED display, bluetooth capabilities, cruise control, customizable ambient light colors, and mobile app connectivity for additional security and firmware updates, Segway ES4 electric scooter combines performance with luxury.
- Quality Assurance: The ES4 is designed to bridge the gaps along your journey, whether it’s the store two blocks away or the bus stop down the street. Please refer to warranty information in product details below.
If you are a lover of sleek, contemporary products, chances are you will love Segway’s Ninebot ES4 scooter. Everything about this two-wheeler is prominent, from the tires to the overall frame.
The ES4 is the fourth release in the Segway ES range, and one outstanding feature you will love about is its dual-battery system.
The Ninebot ES4 electric kick scooter boasts a set of powerful 800-watt batteries. This makes this electric scooter a great investment if you envision doing long-distance commutes or fancy a lengthy ride without needing to recharge.
A single battery charge can give you 28 miles (or 45 km). Yes, that is on both batteries. This is as good a range as you can expect to get on an electric scooter, enough to get you through the entire day and still have some juice to spare by the time you get back home.
What else you will like about this folding scooter is the perfectly engineered front- and rear-wheel shock absorbers. These make the Segway Ninebot ES4 kick scooter a comfortable ride even when riding on bumpy surfaces and pavement cracks.
The wheels are just the right size – neither too big, nor too small – to ride up a small curb, a capability whose handiness we cannot underrate. The tires are made of solid rubber so punctures are not commonplace.
In terms of speed, this electric kick scooter can do approx. 19 mph max, which is commendable. Safety should not be an issue with this vehicle, thanks to its anti-lock braking system (both mechanical and electrical).
At 30.9 lbs (14 kg), the Segway ES4 is light, but can support a good amount of weight (220 lbs).
As far as downsides go, one complaint that has been leveled against this electric kick scooter is issues with the controller. But the Segway customer service is responsive so your issue is likely to be addressed in a timely manner should you unfortunately find yourself experiencing such a problem.
Overall, the Segway Ninebot ES4 is a very solid offering that is not only packed with a slew of practical smart features, but also unique enough to turn heads wherever you go.
- Well-designed high-end model
- Long-lasting battery
- 28 miles (45 km) is a good range
- Rich in useful features – LED display, customizable ambient colors, cruise control, Bluetooth connectivity and mobile app connectivity
- Waterproof design
- Controller issues reported
Best Electric Scooters: NanRobot D4+ High-Speed Electric Scooter (Best Scooter for Off-Road Use)
NanRobot has decades of experience producing top class ride after top class ride, something that has endeared them to the rider community the world over. The D4+ High Speed Electric Scooter is one such ride.
One glance at the D4+ scooter and you can’t help but notice its striking design which resembles an enduro motorcycle. It boasts a strong aluminum alloy frame, with a powerful set of 1000-watt independent motors controlling the front and rear wheels.
The scooter is fitted with fat 10-inch pneumatic tires and 6 shock absorbers. This, coupled with its full suspension, makes it the perfect electric scooter to take on off-road duty without compromising on comfort.
But this is not to say the D4+ Pro Off-road Scooter is constrained to off the beaten paths.
It is pretty impressive on smooth terrain too where it is capable of hitting an impressive 40 mph whilst supporting a maximum weight of 330 lbs (150 kg). This makes this multi-purpose electric scooter a perfect choice for heavier individuals.
The scooter has front and rear EBS disc braking systems ideal for perfect braking, no doubt a necessity for such a high performance model.
What’s also impressive about the braking system of the D4+ Pro is its ability to maintain a stable ride while emergency-braking, something most manufacturers have only recently started adopting.
The range of NanRobot D4+ High Speed Electric Scooter is as impressive as its speed, especially when you consider this is a heavy-duty scooter. A single charge can see you through a respectable 45 miles, which is more than what most of us need on most days.
If you are embarking on a fairly long journey by scooter standards, no need to worry as you don’t have to stand all the way. The D4+ Pro comes with the option of a detachable seat if you desire more comfort.
The only notable downside with this scooter is the sticker.
However, if we factor in the scooter’s capabilities, the price is easy to justify. So much so you could call it a bargain, double so considering this is a vehicle with few equals as far as durability goes.
If you are planning to invest anything in the $1,100 ballpark on an electric scooter, there are fewer better options than the NanRobot D4+ Pro. And even fewer when you want a ride with top off-road capabilities.
- 40 mph speed is impressive
- 45-mile battery life is equally as remarkable for a high-performance model
- Rugged tough design
- 330-lb weight capacity is ideal for heavier users
- Off-road capabilities
- Unmatched durability
- Optional seat
- A heavy carry (it weighs 70 pounds)
By adding a couple of hundred dollars on top, you could get the NanRobot D5+ which is a slight upgrade on the Nanrobot D4+, though there isn’t much difference.
Best Electric Scooters: Glion Dolly Foldable Electric Scooter (Best Scooter for City Dwellers)
- Premium 36v, 7.8ah lithium ion battery with 15-mile range and 3.25 hrs. charge time
- Not a toy — aircraft aluminum frame is designed for daily use by commuters and other adults.
- Powerful 250 watt (600 watt peak) DC hub motor with electronic antilock maintenance-free brake plus a rear fender press brake
- Front tire suspension and Honeycomb never-flat airless rubber tires
- Patented dolly and vertical self-standing feature lets you roll it like a suitcase and stand it vertically out of the way
Need a quality electric scooter in an affordable price range that you can move around with conveniently? The Glion Dolly Foldable is your answer.
This is a unique scooter for a number of reasons.
Most notably, the manufacturer’s patented folding mechanism makes it the easiest electric scooter to pack up. When folded, it resembles a travel suitcase, complete with a retractable handle and roller wheels. At 28 lbs, it is light enough to haul around.
The Glion Dolly Foldable comes with a lithium-ion battery that can give you an estimated range of 15 miles in good weather.
This is nowhere near some of the models on this list. On the upside, though, it takes three-and-a-half hours to fully charge, which is way less than you get with most models out there, majority of which have an average charge time of 5-6 hours.
The Glion Dolly electric scooter has a speed of 15 mph. It features a high-end 250W motor that makes it extremely quiet. It comes equipped with a bright headlamp and built-in tail reflector which means you can be clearly visible when riding home in dusk or during the winter months.
When you analyze the features and figures, it is easy to overrule the Glion Dolly Foldable electric scooter as a below-par offering.
But these are not limitations per se.
Rather, the design quirks are purely intended as this scooter is meant to be a convenient pick-and-go model for the urban dweller who fancies moving around on an electric scooter.
That means this is not the scooter to take on long excursions, especially considering that in addition to the speed and range which might prove limiting, the Glion Dolly has small wheels and only comes with front suspension, factors that could make for a bumpy ride when the road conditions are not optimal.
- Patented folding mechanism allows for fast packing, hauling and storage
- Fast charge time
- Makes little noise
- Bright headlight and tail reflector increases visibility
- Reasonably priced
- Wheels are a bit small to withstand bumps
- Poor suspension
- 15 mile range serves the scooter’s intended purpose but is on the lower side
Best Electric Scooters: Razor EcoSmart Metro (Best Affordable Scooter with a Seat)
- Your purchase includes One Razor EcoSmart Metro Electric Scooter and One Battery charger, for ages of 16 and up
- Electric Scooter dimensions: 59.5” x 20.25” x 41.5”. Product weight: 67 lbs. User maximum weight: 220 lbs.
- Top speed: Up to 18 mph (29 km/h). Run time: Up to 40 minutes of continuous use
- It is not recommended to use product under rain or extreme wet conditions
- Battery-powered electric sit-down scooter with bamboo deck and powder coated frame for emissions-free transportation
If you prefer sitting through the frenzied commute to and from the metropolis and need an electric scooter that will not break the bank, look no further than the Razor EcoSmart Metro.
This scooter comes with its own seat and boasts a large bamboo deck for resting your feet.
The latter feature is in true Razor fashion. This is a manufacturer that has carved a name for themselves as makers of eco-friendly scooters that blend high quality materials with the cutting-edge technology.
It is not just the seat that makes this electric scooter stand out. It also features a removable luggage rack at the back, making it just the perfect vehicle for grocery shopping and for when you want to cart a few things around.
But how does it stack up in terms of speed and range?
The Razor EcoSmart Metro can cruise to a maximum speed of 18 mph with a range that stretches 10 miles per charge. That’s the lowest of all the models on our list, and rules it out for anyone on the hunt for a vehicle capable of doing long distance.
But first-time scooter riders and casual commuters will find it ideal.
Ideally, a lightweight model such as this (in terms of specs) should be portable. But the biggest selling point of the EcoSmart Metro (the seat and rack) also makes it bulky. It weighs 67 lbs (30 kg) which is the heaviest on the list.
This scooter can accommodate a maximum weight of 220 lbs, which is on the lower side especially bearing in mind that the vehicle is designed to carry light luggage (on top of the rider’s weight). Heavy riders might thus not find it too accommodating.
But this means the Razor EcoSmart Metro can be used by younger adults – as young as 16 years, as the manufacturer recommends.
Overall, this is a niche product targeting a certain user base. Despite a few shortcomings, the buyer can always revel in the knowledge that this vehicle comes from one of the most reputable brands in the electric scooter industry.
- Comes with a seat
- Luggage rack is a good addition for running errands like grocery shopping
- Solid construction, featuring bamboo and steel
- Fast recharge time
- Quiet motor
- This is a heavy scooter
- Low weight capacity
- Not ideal for anyone who desires a fast electric scooter